Relieving common neck pain
Neck pain, also known as cervical pain, is a common problem faced by many. The cervical spine consists of multiple vertebrae, the spinal cord, nerve roots, intervertebral discs, and muscles & ligaments. Because the neck is a complex and highly mobile structure, it is at greater risk for pain and injury.
Causes behind common neck pain
Some causes of common neck pain include, but are not limited, to the following:
• Accidents: When one is involved in an accident, such as a car accident, the muscles in the neck are forced to move rapidly past the neck’s normal range of motion, thus causing muscles to tighten and stiffen which in turn causes muscle fatigue and pain.
• Disorders such as spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and osteoarthritis, among others.
Exercises to relieve neck pain
Certain exercises that have been considered helpful in treating neck pain include:
• Neck Turn: Turn your head for five times on each side while keeping your chin straight and vision focuses straight ahead.
• Basic Neck Tilt: In a seated position, tilt the head until your chin reaches chest level. Keep this position for five seconds, and then repeat five times.
• Neck Stretch: While keeping the body straight, push the chin forward while maintaining a stretched throat for five seconds. In the same starting position, push the chin backward and again hold this position. Repeat five times.
Before starting any exercise for an injured or diagnosed area of the body, it is important that you consult your physician. If you would like to learn additional details about Theramotion, please contact us at 718-279-9800. Additionally, you can fill out contact information on our Contact Us page and we will get back to you.